Thursday, January 3, 2013

Reading Books Adored By People I Adore

Breakfast of Champions III - Susan Geissler
Breakfast of Champions III - January 2013 | Susan Geissler
One of my New Year's Resolutions for 2013 was to Read Books Adored By People I Adore. I talked in a previous blog post (Crowdsourcing Your Friends About Books) how this list evolved. The full list is included in the post and I removed all the works I previously read except for two that need revisiting (Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance, The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes). 

Thank you to all my friends who helped put this list together for me via Facebook, text message, phone call, slips of paper, napkins, the back of your business card, mailing me the book, slipping the book into my home undetected, physically hitting me in the forehead with the book after you had too many cocktails, informing me that the main character is a total disaster and you suspected I wrote the book under a pseudonym, or that this may be the book to help me make sense of senseless things that have happened in life thus far.

I will think of each of you as I read all 52 of them, one for each week of 2013. And if you are looking for inspiration from me, here are my 100 favorite books ever: Susie's Top 100
  1. Breakfast of Champions - Kurt Vonnegut*
  2. A Thousand Splendid Suns - Kahled Hosseini 
  3. The Devil of Nanking - Mo Hayder
  4. Armed to the Teeth With Lipstick - Blag Dalia
  5. The End of Your Life Bookclub - Will Schwalbe*
  6. Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance - Robert Pirsig
  7. John Dies At the End - David Wong*
  8. Assholes (a theory) - James Aaron
  9. Kiss Me Judas - Will Christopher Baer
  10. Mere Christianity - C.S. Lewis
  11. The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes - Sir Arthur Conan Doyle*
  12. Life on Planet Rock: From Guns n' Roses to Nirvana, a Backstage Journey Through Rocks Most Debauched Decade - Lonn Friend
  13. Such a Pretty Fat: One Narcissist's Quest To Discover If Her Life Makes Her Ass Look Big, Or Why Pie Is Not the Answer - Jen Lancaster
  14. The Contortionist's Handbook - Craig Clevenger 
  15. Redeeming Love - Francine Rivers 
  16. Same Kind of Different As Me - Ron Hall
  17. 1Q84 - Haruki Murakami
  18. You're Not Doing It Right: Tales of Marriage, Sex, Death and Other Humiliations - Michael Ian Black
  19. The Signal and the Noise: Why So Many Predictions Fail - But Some Don't - Nate Silver
  20. Guilty Pleasures - Laurell K. Hamilton*
  21. The Gunslinger (The Dark Tower #1) - Stephen King*
  22. Discovery of Witches - Deborah Harkness
  23. The Color of Magic - Terry Pratchett*
  24. The Memoirs of Cleopatra - Margaret George
  25. Triggerfish Twist - Tim Dorsey
  26. Catch 22 - Joseph Heller*
  27. Assassination Nation - Sarah Vowell
  28. Cheat: A Man's Guide To Infidelity - Bill Burr, Robert Kelly, Joe DeRosa
  29. Traveling Mercies - Anne Lamott
  30. A Game of Thrones - George R.R. Martin*
  31. The Demolished Man - Alfred Bester*
  32. Definitive H.P. Lovecraft - H.P. Lovecraft*
  33. The Prince of Tides - Pat Conroy
  34. The Electric Kool-Aid Acid Test - Tom Woolf
  35. Anansi Boys - Neil Gaiman*
  36. A Perfect Day for Bananafish - J.D. Salinger
  37. Women - Charles Bukowski
  38. World War Z - Max Brooks*
  39. Confessions of an Economic Hit Man - John Perkins 
  40. Amazing Things Will Happen - C.C. Chapman
  41. Lit: A Memoir - Mary Karr
  42. The Lightning Thief - Rick Riorden*
  43. Middlesex - Jeffery Eugenides*
  44. Outlander (Outlander #1) - Diana Gabaldon
  45. The Poisonwood Bible - Barbara Kingsolver*
  46. We Were Soldiers Once...and Young - Harold Moore
  47. Storm Front - Jim Butcher*
  48. The Alchemist - Paulo Coelho*
  49. Ellen Foster - Kaye Gibbons
  50. Towing Jehovah - James K. Morrow  
  51. The Places In Between - Rory Stewart
  52. The Art of Happiness - The Dalai Lama XIV*
* Denotes books I already own. 
Breakfast of Champions I - Susan Geissler
Breakfast of Champions I - January 2013

2 comments:

  1. Dustin, I put that one on there specifically for you and it's at the top of the list! I am looking forward to reading it. Also Jordan as an ebook copy of it too so we should get him to read it before he goes into CFA III study mode.

    ReplyDelete