Monday, October 8, 2012

Red Beans & Rice Time, Fo Sho

Dirty Coast Shirt - Believe in the Trinity
Somehow I always seem to end up around Louisiana people. Maybe it's leftovers from part of my mom's family marrying one of those crazy french named people and moving off to Baton Rouge. Maybe it's the transplants who ended up in the north just long enough to teach me how a cook a few things like their families used to do it. Either way I appreciate the lifestyle and the food. With plenty of cocktails around, plenty of family and friends clogging up the kitchen, and plenty of food on the table.

My first real meal in the kitchen of my new house was Red Beans & Rice. I had been craving it since I had a terrible bland version of it at Pappadeaux recently. I think their recipe was 1) make white rice 2) open can of red beans 3) dump beans into rice and stir. It was depressing.

So here's the recipe I use that I told my childhood friend Emily I would give her. The recipe has lasted a generation or so with only slight variations to accessibility in certain regions. So hopefully you enjoy and tell your mama n' dem I said hello. 

* Note: This includes the same amount of heat as the original version I learned and how I like to eat it...and I like HOT food. Please, if you have a palate that needs less heat, do a Yankee Adjustment and half the cayenne. You can always add more in if you need it. 

Red Beans & Rice

Not a great pic from my kitchen,
but you get the idea.
2 tablespoons vegetable oil
1 cup chopped onions
1/2 cup chopped celery 
1/2 cup chopped green bell pepper
sea salt 
freshly ground black pepper
1/2 tsp cayenne pepper* 
1tsp dried thyme
4 fresh bay leaves
1 lb boiled ham cut into small cubes (Tasso ham if you can find it. If not then go for a good quality ham  that is not flavored)
2 links of Andouille Sausage cut into cubes/slices (if you cannot find Andouille, use a classic smoked sausage of high quality)
1 lb bag of red beans, soaked, rinsed and picked over (you can use canned but the flavor isn't as good)
3 tbsp fresh minced garlic
water
steamed rice (I like Texmati long-grain made with butter and a pinch of salt) 

1) In a heavy coated dutch oven heat the oil over medium heat.  Saute the onions, celery and green pepper together for 2 minutes. Then add the salt, pepper, cayenne* and thyme and saute for around 5 minutes. 

2) Add the bay leaves, ham, and sausage to the pot and saute for another 5 minutes. 

3) Add the beans and garlic to the pot and then add water enough to cover over the top of the ingredients. Bring the pot to a boil. 

4) Reduce heat to medium-low, leave uncovered, and simmer for 2-3 hours. Stir the pot occasionally and ensure that the contents remain moist in the pot and slightly soupy. If the water cooks down too far add more to prevent dryness. 

5) As the beans become soft after a few hours use a wooden spoon to mash half the mixture up against the sides of the pot. Continue to cook for another 1-2 hours until the mixture becomes creamy in consistency.  [I like mine together to have the consistency of risotto but you can leave it a bit more soupy if you please. Just not too watery or thin. - S]

6) Remove bay leaves.

7) Serve ladled over steamed rice with french bread.




1 comment: